5S is method of creating, maintaining and improving a clean and orderly workplace that may exposes waste and errors. It helps identify unplanned levels of inventory, inadequate work processes, wasted time and equipment inefficiencies.
5S focuses on ‘lean working’, ensuring that the workplace stays clean and orderly. 5S is a great place to start on your continuous improvement initiatives – Kaizen activities, because it promotes an action oriented approach to change from small, continuous and gradually improvements that deserve long term and sustainable effectives. Kaizen get everyone in the organization involved and provide input with improving their workplace.
- Workplace becomes cleaner and better organized.
- Shop-floor and operation becomes safer.
- Visible results enhance the generation of more and better ideas.
- More effective on material usage and heavily movement reduced
- Lead-time reduced.
- Changeover time reduced by streamlining operations.
- Breakdowns and minor stops eliminated on production lines.
- Defects reduced by mistake proofing.
- Clear methods and standards are established.
- In-process inventory is reduced.
- Space usage is improved.
- Employee’s mindset and behavior toward continuous improvement is changed positively
- Customer complaints are reduced
- BUILD THE CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT CULTURE IN BUSINESS
The 5S & Kaizen implementation will move through several phases including: Current Analysis and Assessment, Training, Consulting, and Final Assessment Phases.
1. Phase 1 – Analysis and assessment of current manufacturing capacity
2. Phase 2 – Management Skills Training
- Production management and supervisory skills
- Management of productivity, quality, and production wastes
- Communication skills in production
3. Phase 3 – Implementation of the 5S & Kaizen program
- 5S & Kaizen Training for managers, team leaders, supervisors and staffs
- 5S Communication: 5S communication session is a 3 hours talk, designed mainly for operators to generate their inspiration, awareness, and readiness to join the project. This also is considered as 5S launching event and 5S slogan will also be announced in this session.
- Formation of the 5S Steering Committee (SC)
- Planning for the 5S Cleaning Day
- Readiness Assessment for 5S Cleaning Day
- 5S Cleaning Day
- Start Kaizen projects registered
4. Phase 4 – Monitoring and Support for Standardization and Sustaining
Training and consulting are integrated in one program aim to provide clear understanding about objectives, implementation planning, motivate and inspire whole employees of company for important program. Consulting program with close monitoring of consultant at all implementation stages to support and ensure the initial achievements as well as sustain the results as process and system.